Ian Forber was appointed acting Director General Nuclear at the Ministry of Defence in May 2016.
Prior to being appointed, Ian held a number of senior posts at the MOD, including:
- Director of Strategic Programmes, including responsibility for the nuclear deterrent
- Principal Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Defence
- Head of Iraq Policy
- Assistant Director Africa and Asia-Pacific
In 2010, Ian conducted the ‘Trident value for money’ study, scrutinising plans to renew the UK’s independent nuclear deterrent and was subsequently seconded to the Cabinet Office as Head of the Defence and Counter-Proliferation Team from where he led the Trident Alternatives Review.
Director General Nuclear
The Director General Nuclear is responsible for overseeing the delivery of a successful defence nuclear enterprise, which provides the UK’s strategic nuclear deterrent, based on the Trident strategic weapon system and nuclear powered submarines.
- coordination of nuclear policy across the enterprise and supporting national level decision making on nuclear related matters
- supporting ministerial engagement with Parliament, the public, and the media on the nuclear deterrent and the wider nuclear enterprise
- management of the nuclear equipment programme
- sponsorship of the new specialised delivery bodies
- engagement with US and French government bodies and agencies on nuclear cooperation