Hugh became the Director for Casework and Returns in Immigration Enforcement in March 2013. He joined the Home Office in 1991.
His previous career highlights include:
- being Director for Crime and Enforcement and UK Border Agency’s (UKBA) Regional Director for London and the South East (2010 to 2013)
- becoming national lead for asylum in 2009
- setting up UKBA’s new asylum model in 2007
- taking on the role as principal Private Secretary for Tessa Jowell at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (2001 to 2004)
- acting as Bill Manager for the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
Director General of Immigration Enforcement
The Director General of Immigration Enforcement leads a team of over 5000 staff who are responsible for cross-government actions to reduce immigration abuse and maximise compliance with the immigration law.
Previous roles in government
Senior Director for Casework and Returns
- 2013 to 2016