Howard Orme joined DfE in October 2016 as Director General, Strategy and Resources.
His previous roles include:
- Director General, Finance, Commercial and Digital Transformation at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Deputy Finance Director General at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- finance, commercial, marketing, international and senior leadership roles, mainly with Unilever and Allied Domecq plc
He is a qualified accountant (CGMA, FCMA) and has graduated from the Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA). He is also a non-executive board member for Indesser, the Cabinet Office’s joint venture with the private sector for debt management.
Director General, Strategy and Resources Directorate
The Director General for Strategy and Resources sits on the DfE board, performance and management committees, and chairs the finance and investment committee. The Director General is responsible for strategic and corporate functions including strategy, finance, human resources, analysis, commercial, estates, digital, IT, and ensuring the success of the Secretary of State’s priorities, using data to measure, report and collaboarate with teams.
Further responsibilities include:
- taking a leading role along with board colleagues in the departmental transformation programme, aligning departmental resources and capabilities to ministers’ visions and strategic objectives
- leading on the governance and relationship with DfE’s organisations
- membership of the cross-government financial management review board, leading on data and analytics
Previous roles in government
Director General, Finance, Commercial and Digital Transformation, BIS
- 2015 to 2016
Director General, Finance and Commercial, BIS
- 2009 to 2015