Howard Orme is the Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO) of the Department for Education. He joined DfE in October 2016 and leads the Insight, Resources and Transformation Directorate.
His previous roles include:
- Director General, Finance, Commercial and Digital Transformation at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Deputy Finance Director General at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- finance, commercial, marketing, international and senior leadership roles, mainly with Unilever and Allied Domecq plc
He is a qualified accountant (CGMA, FCMA) and has graduated from the Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA). He is also a non-executive board member for Indesser, the Cabinet Office’s joint venture with the private sector for debt management.
Chief Financial and Operating Officer, Insight, Resources and Transformation
The Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO) for Insight, Resources and Transformation sits on the DfE board, performance and management committees, and chairs the finance and investment committee. They are responsible for:
- bringing together the main corporate functions into a single directorate, including analysis, international education, digital, data and technology functions (DDAT), human resources, finance and commercial
- departmental transformation programme
- governance and relationship with DfE’s organisations
Further responsibilities also include membership of the cross-government financial management review board, leading on data and analytics.
Previous roles in government
Director General, Strategy and Resources Directorate
- 2016 to 2017
Director General, Finance, Commercial and Digital Transformation, BIS
- 2015 to 2016
Director General, Finance and Commercial, BIS
- 2009 to 2015