Gwythian Prins joined the Charity Commission as Board member in June 2013. He is a Research Professor at the London School of Economics and Political Science. He is also visiting professor at the University of Buckingham and a member of the Chief of the Defence Staff’s Strategy Advisory Panel. His previous roles include:
- Fellow in History at Emmanuel College, Cambridge and latterly University Lecturer in Politics
- Senior Fellow in the Office of the Special Advisor on Central and Eastern European Affairs, part of the Office of the Secretary-General of NATO, Brussels
Much of his work has been in Africa or on strategic matters. He has published on African history, medical anthropology, European politics and on military and strategic issues.
Charity Commission Board members are ultimately responsible for all that the commission does. They set the commission’s values, business direction and strategy and make sure it acts fairly, responsibly, transparently, proportionately and ethically. Board members see that the commission maintains its integrity and independence. They identify and manage risks and listen and respond to stakeholders.
The commission’s Board members also:
- monitor how the commission meets its statutory objectives and uses its legal powers
- consider the commission’s management team’s performance, governance standards and delivery against plans
- focus on maximising the commission’s impact and effectiveness
- make sure the commission uses public funds prudently