Guy Thompson joined the founding Executive Board of Natural England from the voluntary sector in June 2006.
Guy was previously director of Green Alliance and has also held senior roles with Forum for the Future and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. He has a long-standing track-record of leadership in the environment sector.
Guy is a former board member of the European Environment Bureau, a member of the Institute of Directors and Association of Chief Executives, a Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, and an alumnus of the Windsor Leadership Trust and Forum for the Future Scholarship Programme.
Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for Natural England’s local and national services across the breadth of Natural England’s remit, including:
- implementation of the Biodiversity 2020 strategy
- land management advice and incentive schemes
- our statutory role around landscape and wildlife designations
- public access and engagement, local marine evidence and advice
- statutory advice within the planning system
- wildlife licensing
- management of our National Nature Reserve estate
- leadership of Natural England’s 14 area teams;
- managing performance for in-year delivery of our corporate plan
- local partnerships and profile
- delivering cultural changes and business improvements associated with our organisational reforms