The Rt Hon Greg Clark was appointed Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on 14 July 2016. He was elected Conservative MP for Royal Tunbridge Wells in 2005.
Born in Middlesbrough, Greg studied economics at Cambridge before earning his PhD from the London School of Economics.
Greg was Director of Policy for the Conservative Party from March 2001 for 3 successive leaders - William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith and Michael Howard - before being elected as an MP in 2005.
He was appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change in October 2008, having previously been Shadow Minister for Charities, Social Enterprises and Volunteering. He then took up the position of Minister of State at Communities and Local Government, with responsibilities for decentralisation and planning policy.
Greg served as Minister for Cities from July 2011 until September 2012, and as Financial Secretary to the Treasury from September 2012 until October 2013. He was Minister of State at the Cabinet Office from October 2013 until March 2015 and Minister for Universities and Science from July 2014 until May 2015. He served as Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government from May 2015 until July 2016.
Career outside politics
Before entering politics, Greg worked for the Boston Consulting Group, one of the world’s top business strategy firms. He was posted to the USA, Mexico, South America and Iceland, as well as working for clients in the UK. He has also worked as Head of Commercial Policy at the BBC.
Greg and his wife have 3 children and live in Royal Tunbridge Wells.
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
The Secretary of State has overall responsibility for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy which brings together responsibilities for business, industrial strategy, science, innovation and energy. This includes:
- developing and delivering a comprehensive industrial strategy and leading the government’s relationship with business
- ensuring that the country has secure energy supplies that are reliable, affordable and clean
- ensuring the UK remains at the leading edge of science, research and innovation
- tackling climate change
Previous roles in government
Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (Ministerial Champion for the Midlands Engine)
- 2015 to 2016
- 2014 to 2015
- 2013 to 2014
- 2012 to 2013
- 2010 to 2012
- Call for new green innovations to tackle climate change
- Dissolving seaweed sauce sachets among innovative schemes to cut down on harmful plastic waste
- UK companies can't afford to ignore mental health issues
- Operation of the audit market: letters to the CMA and Sir John Kingman
- Chair of new Industrial Strategy Council appointed
- Projects lay the groundwork for a future of robolawyers and flying cars
- New measures to support workers, businesses, and entrepreneurs
- Patients lives to be greatly improved by technology revolutions in healthcare
- New appointments to Competition and Markets Authority confirmed
- Business leaders and academics join forces with government to make manufacturing ‘smarter’