George Jenkins OBE was appointed as Chairman of the SSRO on 1 January 2017. He is currently the chairman of the Professional Standards Authority which has oversight of nine regulators and 24 Accredited Registers who regulate over 1.25 million health and care professionals such as doctors, nurses and paramedics.
Mr Jenkins’ career has been in global logistics and manufacturing. In June 2016 he completed his term as the Chairman of the Port of Dover. He has been chairman of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust for four years and previously was Chair of Governance and Audit of NHS Blood and Transplant and Chair of South London Healthcare NHS Trust. He was recognised for his work in healthcare with the appointment to OBE in 2010.
As Chairman of the SSRO he is responsible for leading the Board and ensuring its overall effectiveness. The Chairman is ultimately accountable for the decisions taken by the Board in carrying out its functions.
Previous roles include:
- Interim Chairman of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- Chairman of East Kent Hospitals Trust
- Chairman of the Medway Dock Labour Board
- Executive Chairman and Managing Director of The Transit Group
The Chair is responsible for:
- formulating the SSRO Board’s strategy
- ensuring that the board, in reaching decisions, complies with legislation and takes proper account of guidance provide by the responsible minister or the department
- delivering high standards of regularity and propriety
- representing the views of the Board to the general public
- ensuring that the work of the Board and its members are reviewed and are working effectively
- ensuring that Board members are fully briefed in terms of appointment, duties, rights and responsibilities
- ensuring that there is a code of practice for board members in place consistent with the Cabinet Office model code
- representing the SSRO in discussions with ministers and single source defence suppliers
- representing the views of the Board to the general public as well as Government and industry stakeholders