Gareth Bayley became the Prime Minister’s Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan in November 2017. He is also the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) Director for South Asia and Afghanistan.
Gareth joined the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in 1995. He has worked on the Middle East and North Africa, the United Nations, EU Common Foreign and Security Policy and Conflict/Post-Conflict Transition. Previous assignments have included:
- Chief of Staff to Quartet Representative Tony Blair (2009 to 2010)
- the UK Mission to the UN (2006 to 2009)
- Deputy Head of FCO’s Iraq Department (2005 to 2006)
- British Embassy Baghdad (2004 to 2005)
- British Embassy Cairo (1998 to 2002)
Gareth was the UK Special Representative for Syria from October 2014 to October 2017.
Gareth Bayley on Twitter