Dame Fiona Caldicott was appointed National Data Guardian in 2014. She is also Chair of the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, on the Council of Warwick University and of the United Nations University.
Previous career highlights include:
- led an independent review of information governance, 2012 to 2013
- Chaired the National Information Governance Board, 2011 to 2013
- Chaired the Caldicott Committee on patient identifiable data in the NHS. This led to the creation of ‘Caldicott Guardians’ in all provider organisations in the NHS, 1996 to 1997
- Consultant and Senior Clinical Lecturer in Psychotherapy for the South Birmingham Mental Health NHS Trust
- Principal of Somerville College in the University of Oxford, 1996 to 2010
- Chair of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, 1995 to 1996
- President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, 1993 to1996
National Data Guardian
The National Data Guardian for health and social care helps to ensure that personal confidential data is held and used to support better outcomes from health and care services, at the same time providing confidence that there are thorough safeguards in place to protect personal confidential data.