Eryl Besse joined the Charity Commission as Board member in June 2013. She is a native Welsh speaker. Eryl has over 30 years’ experience of the practice of law in 3 international law firms. Her previous roles include:
- Partner, Linklaters
- Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
Eryl has had experience in a number of civil society organisations and is currently a Member of the Development Committee, Campaign Board at Magdalen College School, Oxford.
Charity Commission Board members are ultimately responsible for all that the commission does. They set the commission’s values, business direction and strategy and make sure it acts fairly, responsibly, transparently, proportionately and ethically. Board members see that the commission maintains its integrity and independence. They identify and manage risks and listen and respond to stakeholders.
The commission’s Board members also:
- monitor how the commission meets its statutory objectives and uses its legal powers
- consider the commission’s management team’s performance, governance standards and delivery against plans
- focus on maximising the commission’s impact and effectiveness
- make sure the commission uses public funds prudently