Edward Timpson is Chair of Cafcass and sits on the Children’s Commissioner Advisory Board and Board of Trade.
Edward studied political sciences at Durham University and law conversion at the College of Law, London. He sat his bar exams at the Inns of Court School of Law.
Edward was elected as MP for Eddisbury in 2019. He was previously MP for Crewe and Nantwich from 2008 to 2017.
He has served as:
- Chair of the Child Safeguarding Practice Review Panel (2018 to 2020)
- Minister of State for Vulnerable Children and Families at the Department for Education (2016 to 2017)
- Minster of State for Children and Families (2015 to 2016)
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Children and Families (2012 to 2015)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Home Secretary (2010 to 2012)
He was also:
- A member of the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee
- A member of the Joint Committee on Human Rights
- Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Groups on Adoption and Fostering, Looked-after Children and Care Leavers
- Vice Chairman for the Run-away and Missing Children Group
Career outside politics
Edward practised as a family law barrister in Cheshire courts, specialising in the cases of vulnerable children.