Dominic Raab was appointed as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union on 9 July 2018.
He was previously Minister of State for Housing at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government from 9 January 2018 to 9 July 2018.
He was Minister of State at the Ministry of Justice from 12 June 2017 to 9 January 2018. He was elected Conservative MP for Esher and Walton in May 2010.
Dominic went to Dr Challoner’s Grammar School, and studied law at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford and for a Masters at Cambridge, winning the Clive Parry Prize for International Law.
Dominic served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Human Rights) at the Ministry of Justice from 2015 to 2016.
Career before politics
Dominic started his career as a business lawyer at City law firm Linklaters, working on project finance, international litigation and competition law. He also spent time on secondments at Liberty (the human rights NGO) and in Brussels advising on EU and WTO law.
Dominic later worked at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office between 2000 and 2006 on a range of issues from investor protection to war crimes policy.
Dominic is married with two children.
Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union
The Secretary of State is responsible for the work of the Department for Exiting the European Union.
● Policy work to support the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union and to establish the future relationship between the EU and the UK
● Conducting the negotiations in support of the Prime Minister including supporting bilateral discussions on EU exit with other European countries
● Working closely with the UK’s devolved administrations, Parliament, and a wide range of other interested parties on the approach to negotiations
● Leading and co-ordinating cross-government work to seize the opportunities and ensure a smooth process of exit on the best possible terms
Previous roles in government
- 2018 to 2018
- 2017 to 2018
- 2015 to 2016
- Joint Ministerial Committee (EU Negotiations) communiqué: 11 October 2018
- Joint Ministerial Committee (EU Negotiations) communiqué: 13 September 2018
- Secretary of State: Statement to Parliament September 4th 2018
- Secretary of State Dominic Raab's speech on no deal planning
- SoS, Dominic Raab statement on the White Paper on Legislating for the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU
- SoS, Dominic Raab statement on the future relationship between the United Kingdom and the European Union: 12 July 2018
- CIH Housing 2018
- New powers for councils to deliver homes for local families
- New plans to keep Kent moving during Channel disruption
- Government to launch review into carbon monoxide alarms