David Prout took up his current post as Director General, High Speed 2 Group for the Department for Transport on 7 January 2013.
David started his career in the planning department of Westminster City Council in 1990. Other career highlights include:
- Director General, Localism at the Department for Communities and Local Government
- Environment Attaché at the UK Permanent Representation to the EU in Brussels
- the Department of the Environment, where he helped negotiate the Berlin mandate for the Kyoto Climate Change agreement
- Principal Private Secretary to the Deputy Prime Minister
- Director of Local Government Policy at DCLG, where he was responsible for the local government white paper
- Executive Director for Planning and Borough Development at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Director General High Speed 2 Group
As Director General, David has overall responsibility for all aspects of the developing High Speed 2.
Previous roles in government
Director General, Local Government and Public Services
- 2009 to 2013