Lord Prior of Brampton was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on 21 December 2016. Previously he served at the Department of Health as Minister for NHS Productivity from May 2015 until December 2016. He is a Conservative member of the House of Lords.
He graduated from Cambridge University with an Exhibition and MA in Law and subsequently qualified as a Barrister in 1976.
Lord Prior served as Member of Parliament for North Norfolk from 1997 to 2001 and went on to be deputy chairman and CEO of the Conservative Party. He was also on the Commons Select Committee for Trade and Industry.
Career outside politics
Lord Prior has held a number of jobs during his career including:
- chairman of the Care Quality Commission from 2013 to 2015
- chairman of the NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard Strategic Advisory Group
- adviser to the health authority of Abu Dhabi
- chairman of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital from 2002 to 2013
- associate with Lehman Brothers and Lazard Freres
- senior executive with British Steel
- managing a number of private companies, mainly in manufacturing and engineering
He is also chairman of 2 Free Schools and an Academy and a trustee of The Inspiration Trust.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
- industrial strategy
- Lords lead on all BEIS issues
- industrial policy (with the Minister of State for Climate Change and Industry)
- professional services
- rail supply chain
- life sciences
- EU single market
- deregulation and regulatory reform
- Land Registry
- Ordnance Survey
- Companies House
- corporate minister
Previous roles in government
- 2015 to 2016