David joined the Ministry of Defence in December 2017 from his role as Chief Executive at the London Legacy Development Corporation, responsible for the development and regeneration of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and surrounding areas.
Previous roles have seen him heavily involved in the delivery of major public-sector investment programmes including; Chief Finance Officer for Transport for London; Finance Director for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, responsible for the £9.3 billion budget; and establishing the delivery structures and commercial arrangements for the Building Schools for the Future investment programme.
Chief Operating Officer
The Defence Chief Operating Officer is a newly established post within the Department. Supporting the Permanent Secretary, the role is responsible for the Department’s Operating Model, including being a member of each Military Command’s Board; and the delivery of the Department’s Change Transformation Programme. The Chief Operating Officer is the senior Director General responsible for Head Office and Corporate Services.
The Chief Operating Officer’s responsibilities include:
- lead in delivery of the Department’s Change Transformation programme; chairing the Change and Efficiency Board.
- ownership of the Department’s Operating Model
- lead Head Office relationship and sponsorship of Commands and Enabling Organisations
- sponsor and Top Level Budget holder for the Defence Infrastructure Organisation
- functional Owner for Project Delivery
- management and prioritisation of Head Office resources