In January 2017 Tim was appointed the UK’s Permanent Representative to the European Union.
Tim joined the FCO in 1986 working in the Western European Department. His first overseas posting was in 1989 as part of the British Days Exhibition, followed by Second Secretary in Moscow.
Subsequent positions are as follows:
- Head of Russia Section
- Private Secretary to Minister of State
- First Secretary, UKREP Brussels
- Private Secretary to the Foreign Secretary
- Head of Common Foreign and Security Department
- Assistant Director EU External
- Deputy Political Director
- Her Majesty’s Ambassador in Kyiv
- Representative to the Political and Security Committee of the European Union and Ambassador to the Western European Union, UKREP Brussels
- Her Majesty’s Ambassador in Moscow
- Political Director
UK Permanent Representative to the EU
The UK’s Permanent Representative to the EU has overall responsibility for the work of the mission and represents the UK at the weekly Committee of Permanent Representatives (Coreper II) meetings in the Council of the European Union.
Previous roles in government
Director General, Political
- 2016 to 2017
British Ambassador to Russia
- 2011 to 2016