The Permanent Secretary leads the day-to-day running of the department and heads the department’s senior team.
Along with other members of the departmental board, the Permanent Secretary is responsible for:
- advising ministers on strategy and objectives for the health and social care system
- setting standards within the department
- making arrangements for governance, assurance and risk management
- overseeing the department’s performance and assuring the performance of sponsored organisations
- approving the department’s business plan, resource accounts, departmental report and major spending