Charlie Massey was appointed Director General for Acute Care and Workforce in July 2016.
Before that Charlie worked in a variety of roles across government, including:
- Director General for Strategy and External Relations at the Department of Health
- Account Director for Ageing Society and State Pensions at the Department for Work and Pensions
- leading reviews on childcare and drugs in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit
- leading work on Royal Mail and the future of the Post Office network at HM Treasury
- working on pension protection at the Department for Work and Pensions
In his spare time Charlie is Deputy Chair of a charity, Action on Disability and Development. He also chairs a local housing charity, the Walnut Tree Trust. He is married with 3 children.
Director General, Acute Care and Workforce
The Director General for Acute Care and Workforce is responsible for the following policy areas:
- acute care and quality
- efficiency and productivity
- communications and engagement
Previous roles in government
Director General, Strategy and External Relations
- 2012 to 2016