Baroness Sugg CBE was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport on 27 October 2017. She was a Government Whip (Baroness in Waiting) from 15 June 2017. Baroness Sugg became a Conservative life peer on 30 August 2016.
Career outside politics
Baroness Sugg previously served as Director of Operations and Campaigns at Downing Street under David Cameron.
She was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2015 Dissolution Honours.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport
The minister is responsible for:
- transport security
- EU and EU exit
- legislation in the Lords
- civil contingencies
Baroness in Waiting (Government Whip)
Lords Whips have the same constitutional position as departmental ministers. Their role in the House of Lords is different from that of Whips in the Commons, which is predominantly party management.
A Lords Whip has an active role at the despatch box promoting and defending departmental policy which involves:
- answering questions
- responding to debates
- taking through primary and secondary legislation
If the department concerned does not have a departmental minister in the House of Lords, all of that department’s business will fall to a Whip.
- New police powers to tackle illegal use of drones
- UK aviation industry set to prosper as UK prepares to leave the EU
- Transport Secretary and Aviation Minister meet leading UK airlines and airports
- New aviation passenger charter to improve flying experience
- New backing to transform the UK's future through the modern Industrial Strategy
- Thousands to benefit from new Congleton bypass
- Aviation Minister meets Norwich students at cutting-edge training academy
- Extra powers to prevent the misuse of drones
- Tim Peake joins mission to inspire future engineers as The Holiday Makers challenge blasts off at Farnborough Airshow
- Lift off for electric planes - new funding for green revolution in UK civil aerospace