Andrew James Sparkes CMG has been British Ambassador to the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal since 26 April 2013
Andy studied English literature at Cambridge and joined the Foreign Office in 1983 after teaching in Japan.
- Secondment to the European Union as Deputy Head of the EULEX Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo from October 2010 – present
- Her Majesty’s Ambassador, Republic of Kosovo from April 2008 - October 2010
- Her Majesty’s Ambassador, Democratic Republic of Congo from July 2004 – July 2007
- Pretoria, Deputy High Commissioner and Consul General Johannesburg/Pretoria from December 2001 – February 2004
- Jakarta, Deputy Head of Mission and Consul General from April 1999 – December 2001
- DTI, Secondment as Head of new Services and Sectors Directorate (later became UK Trade and Investment) from July 1997 – November 1998
- FCO, DS5 (now D6) Grade Manager then Assistant Director Personnel Management from July 1995 – July 1997
- Bangkok, First Secretary Political from 1992 – 1995
- FCO, Head of Section, Mozambique and Angola from 1991 – 1992
- FCO, Desk Officer, Israel and Lebanon from 1990 – 1991
- FCO, Head of Section, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei from 1988 – 1990
- Ankara, Second Secretary Political from 1985 – 1988
- FCO, Various Desk Officer Roles from 1983 – 1985
Andy has two children Edward and Laura from his former marriage.
British Ambassador to Nepal
The Ambassador represents Her Majesty The Queen and the UK government in the country to which they are appointed. They are responsible for the direction and work of the Embassy and its Consulates, including political work, trade and investment, press and cultural relations, and visa and consular services.
by Andrew James Sparkes CMG
- 25 September 2013