Andrea Leadsom was appointed Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons on 11 June 2017. She was elected as Conservative MP for South Northamptonshire in 2010.
After attending Tonbridge Girls Grammar School in Kent, Andrea went on to read political science at Warwick University.
Andrea served on the Treasury Select Committee from July 2010 until May 2014 and on the Public Accounts Committee from May 2014 until March 2015. She then served as Economic Secretary to the Treasury from April 2014 until May 2015 and Minister of State at the Department of Energy and Climate Change from May 2015 until July 2016. Andrea also served as Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs from July 2016 until June 2017.
Career outside politics
Andrea worked in the banking and finance industry for 25 years, most recently as Head of Corporate Governance and Senior Investment Officer at Invesco Perpetual, one of the UK’s largest retail fund managers.
Andrea is married to Ben and has three children.
Leader of the House of Commons
The Leader of the House of Commons organises government business in the House of Commons and works closely with the government’s Chief Whip.
Lord President of the Council
Previous roles in government
- 2016 to 2017
- 2015 to 2016
- 2014 to 2015
- Leader of the commons to chair ministerial group on family support from conception to the age of two
- Business Statements: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons, July 2018
- Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme
- Business Statements: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons, June 2018
- Business Statements: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons, May 2018
- Strengthening Our Parliamentary Democracy
- Business Statements: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons, April 2018
- Leader of the Commons addresses cross party conference on violence against women in politics
- Business Statements: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons, February 2018
- A Statement on the Independent Complaints and Grievance Policy