Amber Rudd was appointed to be Secretary of State for Work and Pensions on 16 November 2018.
She was previously Home Secretary from 13 July 2016 to 29 April 2018. She was elected Conservative MP for Hastings and Rye in 2010.
From 2010 to 2012 she was a member of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee. She then served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2012 to 2013, and as Assistant Whip from October 2013.
Amber was the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department of Energy and Climate Change from July 2014 until May 2015. She was then Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change from May 2015 until July 2016.
Career outside politics
Graduating from the University of Edinburgh with a degree in history, Amber worked in investment banking in the City of London and New York, before moving into venture capital. She then set up a freelance recruitment business and wrote for financial publications, before being elected to Parliament in May 2010.
She lives in Hastings and has 2 children.
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
The Secretary of State has overall responsibility for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They have direct responsibility for departmental expenditure and departmental management.
DWP is responsible for the administration of the State Pension and working age benefits system, providing support to:
- people of working age
- families and children
- disabled people
Previous roles in government
- 2018 to 2018
- 2016 to 2018
- 2015 to 2016
- 2014 to 2015
- 2013 to 2014
- New taskforce to take action against violent crime
- Home Secretary speech on cyber security to Commonwealth Business Forum
- Free citizenship for the Windrush generation
- Home Secretary statement on the Windrush generation
- Home Secretary speech on measures to tackle child sexual exploitation
- Commonwealth countries unite to stamp out human trafficking and child exploitation
- New team to help Commonwealth citizens confirm their status in the UK
- Law enforcement crackdown on dark web: Home Secretary speech
- Home Secretary announces launch of the Serious Violence Strategy
- Home Secretary launches Serious Violence Strategy