Alan Giles was appointed Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board on 15 July 2013. Alan has the additional responsibility of being Chair of the Remuneration Committee.
He is also a Non-Executive Director of the Perpetual Income and Growth Investment Trust.
He is Chair of the Advisory Board of the Oxford Institute of Retail Management, Said Business School, University of Oxford and is Deputy Chair of the Advisory Board of the Mergers & Acquisitions Research Centre, Cass Business School, City, University of London
He is an advisory panel member of PricewaterhouseCooper’s non-executive directors (NED) programme.
Previous career highlights include:
- Lead Non-Executive Director for the Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
- Chairman of the Fat Face Group
- Chief Executive Officer of HMV Group plc, Managing Director of Waterstones Booksellers Ltd and an Executive Director of WH Smith Group plc
- Non-Executive Director of Rentokil Initial plc
Non-Executive Directors of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board play an important role in setting up the organisation, working with the chair and chief executive.
As board members, they are also responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- making decisions on Market Investigation References