Alan Giles was appointed Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board on 15 July 2013. Alan has the additional responsibility of being Chair of the Remuneration Committee.
He is also a Non-Executive Director of the Perpetual Income and Growth Investment Trust and Rentokil Initial plc.
He also lectures in retailing at the Saïd Business School, UK, and in corporate governance for NHS Foundation Trusts at Cass Business School, UK.
He is an advisory panel member of PricewaterhouseCooper’s non-executive directors (NED) programme.
Previous career highlights include:
- Lead Non-Executive Director for the Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
- Chairman of the Fat Face Group
- Chief Executive Officer of HMV Group plc, Managing Director of Waterstones Booksellers Ltd and an Executive Director of WH Smith Group plc
Non-Executive Directors of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board play an important role in setting up the organisation, working with the chair and chief executive.
As board members, they are also responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- making decisions on Market Investigation References