Adele Downey is the Chief Executive at the Disclosure and Barring Service. She is also an executive member of the DBS board.
Adele took on this role at the DBS in June 2016.
Before this role Adele held a variety of different positions including:
- Deputy Chief Executive and Director for Corporate Services at DBS
- Acting Chief Executive at the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB)
Chief Executive and DBS Board Member
Some of the Chief Executive’s responsibilities include:
- overall management and staffing of the organisation and leading a team of directors
- developing the DBS strategic plan and delivering its objectives and policy intent
- securing and protecting the vision of the strategic plan
- ensuring that DBS is governed responsibly, reported honestly and escalated appropriately
- being the accounting officer with responsibility for ensuring that DBS remains self-funded and adheres to the principles of ‘managing public money’
- engaging effectively with stakeholders
- Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for the R1 project, which is the DBS modernisation programme