We are taking forward the recommendations of the Prime Minister’s Holocaust Commission to advance knowledge and understanding of the Holocaust and ensure that its memory is preserved.
Who we are
The UK Holocaust Memorial Foundation, funded by the Department for Communities and Local Government, was created to implement the recommendations of the Prime Minister’s Holocaust Commission report - Britain’s Promise to Remember - in 2015, including the delivery of the new Memorial and Learning Centre and the recording of British Holocaust testimony.
Sir Peter Bazalgette, Chair of the Arts Council of England, is Chair of the Foundation supported by board members:
- Alex Salmond, Scottish National Party MP and MSP
- Ephraim Mirvis, Chief Rabbi
- Natasha Kaplinsky, journalist
- Gerald Ronson CBE
- Alice Greenwald, New York’s 9/11 Memorial Museum director
- The Rt Hon Ed Balls
- Lord Andrew Feldman
- Lord David Alliance
- Baroness Dido Harding
- Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO CBE, educational campaigner and charity champion
- Peter Freeman, founder of the property company Argent Group which is developing the new 67 acre King’s Cross site
The Rt Hon Sir Eric Pickles MP also attends board meetings in his capacity as the Prime Minister’s Special Envoy for Post Holocaust Issues.
The board is supported by a Survivor Group and an Education Advisory Group.
We also work together with a number of organisations to provide support for the survivors and liberators who are giving their testimony with us.