What we do
We provide support to the Leader of the House of Commons, who is responsible for planning and supervising the government’s legislative programme (including the Queen’s speech), and managing government business within the House of Commons while also upholding the rights and interests of the backbench members of the House.
We are responsible for:
- delivering the government’s legislative programme
- managing business in the House of Commons
- reform of the House of Commons, including co-ordinating e-petitions across government and parliament
- remaining issues relating to pay, pensions and expenses for MPs following the establishment of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
Our main priorities are to:
- deliver the government’s legislative programme
- respond to the Joint Committee on Parliamentary Privilege
Who we are
Our team is based in the Palace of Westminster and 1 Horse Guards Road, London.
Although resourced by Cabinet Office, the Leader and the Deputy Leader of the Commons are not Cabinet Office ministers. Together with the Leader of the House of Lords, the Chief Whips and their respective deputies in both houses, our ministers and offices are otherwise known as the Parliamentary Business Managers.
The Leader is an ex-officio member of the House of Commons Commission and the Speaker’s Committee on IPSA, and as Lord Privy Seal acts as the Chair of the Board of Trustees for the Chevening Estate.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts