We are responsible for:
- delivering the government’s legislative programme
- managing business in the House of Commons
- reform of the House of Commons, including co-ordinating e-petitions across government and parliament
- remaining issues relating to pay, pensions and expenses for MPs following the establishment of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
Our main priorities are to:
- deliver the government’s legislative programme
- respond to the Joint Committee on Parliamentary Privilege
Who we are
Our team is based in 70 Whitehall, London.
Although resourced by Cabinet Office, the Leader and the Deputy Leader of the Commons are not Cabinet Office ministers. Together with the Leader of the House of Lords, the Chief Whips and their respective deputies in both houses, our ministers and offices are otherwise known as the Parliamentary Business Managers.
The Leader is an ex-officio member of the House of Commons Commission, Public Accounts Commission, the Speaker’s Committees on the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority and the Electoral Commission. She is also Lord President of the Privy Council and acts as an ex-officio trustee of the National Portrait Gallery.