What we do
The Committee on Standards in Public Life (CSPL) advises the Prime Minister on ethical standards across the whole of public life in England. It monitors and reports on issues relating to the standards of conduct of all public office holders.
CSPL is an independent advisory non-departmental public body. Our secretariat and budget are provided by the Cabinet Office.
We are responsible for:
- advising the Prime Minister on ethical issues relating to standards in public life
- conducting broad inquiries into standards of conduct
- making recommendations as to changes in present arrangements
- promoting the 7 principles of public Life
Our remit does not allow us to investigate individual allegations of misconduct. That is the role of the relevant regulator.
In 2017 our priorities are to:
- continue the follow up work to our 2014 report on ethical standards for public service providers.
- commence the follow up work to our 2016 report into regulators, Striking the Balance.
- continue to review and monitor issues relevant to standards across public life.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read our policy on Social media use.