What we do
The Committee on Standards in Public Life (CSPL) advises the Prime Minister on ethical standards across the whole of public life in the UK. It monitors and reports on issues relating to the standards of conduct of all public office holders.
CSPL is an independent advisory non-departmental public body. Our secretariat and budget are provided by the Cabinet Office.
We are responsible for:
- advising the Prime Minister on ethical issues relating to standards in public life
- conducting broad inquiries into standards of conduct
- making recommendations as to changes in present arrangements
- promoting the 7 principles of public Life
Our remit does not allow us to investigate individual allegations of misconduct. That is the role of the relevant regulator.
In 2016 our priorities are to:
- publish the findings of our review of ethics for regulators
- continue to promote recommendations from our report ‘Tone from the top’ – leadership, ethics and accountability in policing
- monitor the ethical risks associated with lobbying of public office holders
- continue to monitor local government standards and *promote ethical standards for commissioners and providers of public services
Access our information
Jobs and contracts