The chair was appointed by the Secretary of State to the board in November 2008 and the members were appointed in March 2009. The chair was reappointed for a further three year term in 2011 and the members were similarly reappointed in 2012. The chair’s contract was extended by twelve months in 2014 and members’ contracts were extended for a further eight months in March 2015.
NLFAB submitted its final advice on the Funding Arrangements Plan for Hinkley Point C to the Secretary of State on 14 October 2015. The Secretary of State announced her decision to approve the Funded Decommissioning Programme for Hinkley Point C, subject to the Contract for Difference coming into legal effect, on 21st October 2015.
The contracts of NLFAB members ended on 31 October 2015. Having completed their advice on Hinkley, all members, except Simon Carroll, stepped down from the board. Simon was invited to stay on for another year to provide support while the Hinkley negotiations were finalised.
Members of the NLFAB are appointed on a part-time basis for an average of six board meetings a year. The remuneration is £750 per day for the chair and £500 per day for members.
Appointments to the NLFAB are made in accordance with the requirements of the Code of the Commissioner for Public Appointments. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process.
The Committee on Standards in Public Life recommends that holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest. In line with this DECC maintains a conflict of interest register for NLFAB members.
- Lady Janet Balfour of Burleigh, Chair of NLFAB
- Anne Baldock, former Global Head of Projects, Allen & Overy LLP
- Antony Barker, Director, Santander UK plc
- Norman Harrison, former Director of Strategic Development, Babcock International Group plc
- Simon O’Regan, President of the North America Region, Mercer
- Dr Anthony White, MBE, co-founder of investment management and advisory group Climate Change Capital Ltd
- Simon Carroll, Analyst and Regulator, Swedish Radiation Safety Authority, Stockholm