Complaints procedure

How to complain about a teacher, or about NCTL's service.

You may report serious professional misconduct of a teacher to the National College for Teaching and Leadership, but only after all possible local procedures have been followed, including:

  • contacting the school’s headteacher and/or chair of governors
  • contacting the local authority, where they are the teacher’s employer

Use our teacher misconduct referral form and include as much relevant information and evidence as possible, as well as details of the local procedures that have already taken place to deal with the allegation.

NCTL will confirm whether a referral will lead to an investigation and a hearing, as set out in our disciplinary procedures.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint about NCTL’s service, please contact:

Complaint enquiries

Ministerial and Public Communications Division
Department for Education
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street

M1 2WD

We aim to respond to all queries submitted via this form within 15 working days.

Once you have completed all the mandatory fields and submitted your request, you should see a confirmation page which confirms that your enquiry has been received successfully. An email receipt will also be sent to the email address you have provided, with a copy of your enquiry text.

If you do not see this screen or receive an email receipt, please call us on 0370 000 2288 to check progress and we will let you know how to proceed.

Find out more about the complaints procedure for the Department for Education and its executive agencies.