What we do
The Macur Review is an independent review, chaired by Lady Justice Macur, DBE. It's a review of Sir Ronald Waterhouse’s inquiry into the abuse of children in care in the former Gwynedd and Clwyd council areas of North Wales between 1974 and 1996.
The Macur Review was announced by the government on 8 November 2012 to:
- review the scope of the Waterhouse Inquiry, which published its report Lost in Care in February 2000
- determine whether any specific allegations of child abuse falling within the inquiry’s terms of reference were not investigated
- make recommendations to the Secretary of State for Justice and the Secretary of State for Wales
It is totally independent from the government.
The Review’s report
Lady Justice Macur submitted her report to the Secretary of State for Justice and the Secretary of State for Wales on 10 December 2015.
The government published its redacted version of Lady Justice Macur’s report on 17 March 2016.
Arrangements for publication and distribution of the report are a matter for the government. Enquiries about publication and related matters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For media enquiries about publication of the report, please call the Ministry of Justice press office on 020 3334 3541
- All other media enquiries should contact the Macur Review press office on 020 3334 4078
We are grateful to everyone who has contributed to the Review.
Responses and evidence
We published an Issues Paper in January 2013 inviting anyone to provide information relevant to our terms of reference (deadline was 29 March 2013 but late responses were accepted).
We held 2 public meetings in Wrexham on 18 June 2013 and on that day Lady Justice Macur met privately with anyone who asked to do so.
We have also met with numerous individuals with relevant information.
We have thoroughly reviewed this information alongside the huge volume of documentation provided to us. No one needed to seek financial assistance from members of the public to contribute to the review.
The Review is not associated with any website other than its official page on GOV.UK.
The total expenditure authorised through, or on behalf of, the Macur Review Secretariat is £2,493,300. This figure excludes VAT and has been rounded up to the nearest hundred.
The current Macur Review team is:
|Diane Caddle||Secretary to the Review|
|Ashleigh Freeman||Solicitor to the Review|
|Marie Colton||Business Manager to the Review|
Access our information
Jobs and contracts