Our energy use
Details of the Intellectual Property Office’s energy use in all our buildings and our work to reduce waste.
What we’re doing to reduce our energy use
In order to reduce our consumption of fossil fuels, our Newport offices are heated using a Biomass system. We have also implemented a number of energy saving measures including sensor lights and energy efficient IT systems.
Our environmental policy
The Intellectual Property Office recognises that what we do can have a positive and negative impact on the environment. Our environmental policy addresses the impacts that we can control and influence.
We are committed to following best practice in environmental performance. We are committed to sustainable development, to reduce the impact on the environment from our operations and to maximise environmental improvement.
In order to implement this policy we will:
- minimise waste by following the waste hierarchy to reduce, re-use and recycle. We will benefit the local community by donating unwanted materials to local good causes
- purchase in an environmentally responsible manner. We expect all suppliers to co-operate fully in the delivery of our environmental targets
- minimise pollution from greenhouse gas emissions which result from our energy use. We will do this through using alternatives to fossil fuels and through the use of green IT. We will actively investigate further energy efficiencies for our Newport site
- reduce the impact of travel between our sites, internationally and from commuting
- ensure that our use of finite resources, including water and paper, is kept to a minimum
- identify and provide appropriate training, advice and information for all staff on environmental matters
- encourage all employees to reduce the environmental impacts associated with their work and encourage them to develop new ideas and initiatives
- promote and encourage the office’s involvement in local initiatives through our corporate social responsibility programme for the benefit of local communities and our staff
- comply with all relevant environmental legislation, regulation and other requirements
- commit appropriate resources and give managers sufficient responsibility to implement this policy
- manage these impacts through an environmental management system certified to the international standard ISO 14001
- set and monitor environmental objectives and targets and continually assess and improve the effectiveness of our environmental management system
- make this policy available to all interested parties and review it on an annual basis