What we’re doing to reduce our energy use
In order to reduce our consumption of fossil fuels, our Newport offices are heated using a Biomass system. We have also implemented a number of energy saving measures including sensor lights and energy efficient IT systems.
Section 6 Biodiversity and Ecosystem Resilience duty of the Environment (Wales) Act 2016
Our Environmental Policy ISO14001:2015
The Intellectual Property Office recognises what we do can have a positive and negative impact on the local and global environment. Our environmental policy addresses the impacts that we can control or influence in order to protect the environment.
We are committed to continual improvement and sustainable development by following best practice in environmental performance. We aspire to reduce the impact on the natural environment from our operations and to maximise and enhance environmental improvement.
To prevent pollution and minimise environmental impacts concerning our activities and services we shall:
- minimise waste by following the waste hierarchy to refuse, reduce, re-use and recycle
- purchase in an environmentally responsible manner. We expect all suppliers to co- operate fully in the delivery of our environmental targets by considering life cycle impacts of their aspects and activities
- minimise pollution from greenhouse gas emissions by using alternatives to fossil fuels and using green IT
- commit to protecting the environment in any activities we undertake underpinning the ambition of being the best IP Office with shared values and behaviors
- reduce the impact of travel between our sites, internationally and from commuting
- enhance and protect biodiversity on our estate, raising awareness across the organisation
- reduce our use of finite resources, including water and paper
- educate, train and motivate employees to carry out tasks in an environmentally responsible manner; encourage all employees to reduce the environmental impacts associated with their work and encourage them to develop new ideas and initiatives with the determination that attitudes towards the environment become the norm
- push forward the momentum for positive change by promoting and encouraging the office’s involvement in local initiatives through our corporate social responsibility program for the benefit of local communities and our staff
- comply with all relevant compliance obligations and other requirements
- commit appropriate resources and give managers enough responsibility to implement this policy
- manage these impacts through an environmental management system (EMS) certified to the international standard ISO 14001:2015. The scope of the IPO EMS covers the environmental management of operations and estates at Concept House and our archive facility at Nine Mile Point
- develop programs to set and achieve environmental objectives and targets and continually assess and improve the effectiveness of our environmental management system
- ensure early identification of environmental impact during change processes setting a clear long-term direction with flexibility to adapt to new ways of working
- provide a healthy, flexible and sustainable environment for our people to work in
- make this policy available to all staff and interested parties via governmental approved media and review it on an annual basis
18 December 2019