Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about the Highways Agency.

This information page was withdrawn on

This is no longer current policy. See also Highways England’s complaints procedure

We want to hear about your expe­ri­ences so we can learn from them and improve our ser­vices.

What we can help with

We are responsible for motorways and major (trunk) roads in England.

For complaints about:

Call our infor­ma­tion line on 0300 123 5000 (local rate call) if you need help in finding who to contact.

How to complain

Set out your complaint clearly including dates and any other details. Send it to us at

You can also contact us by phone on our 24-hour helpline on 0300 123 5000 (local rate call).

If you prefer to send a letter, the address is:

Highways Agency
National Traffic Operations Centre
3 Ridgeway
Quinton Business Park
B32 1AF

What happens next

We aim to respond to all communications (letters, e-mails, faxes, telephone calls) within 15 working days of receiving them. This includes a complaint that has been formally recorded by one of our traffic officers. If we are going to take longer, we will let you know why and when we aim to reply.

If we are at fault we will:

  • apol­o­gise and send a full expla­na­tion of what went wrong
  • tell you what we can do to put things right
  • review our ser­vices to stop this happening again

Chief Executive

If you’re not sat­is­fied with the response you receive then you can com­plain to our chief exec­u­tive:

The Chief Executive
Highways Agency
National Traffic Operations Centre
3 Ridgeway
Quinton Business Park
B32 1AF

Independent assessment

If you are not happy with the response after writing to our Chief Executive, you can ask us to refer your complaint to the Department for Transport’s Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA).

Find out more information about what the ICAs cover and how to complain to them.”

Parliamentary Ombudsman

If you think we have not done everything possible to resolve your complaint, you can also ask a Member of Parliament to contact us on your behalf, or ask them to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

The PHSO will expect you to have tried to resolve your complaint at the earlier stages of our complaints procedure before they look into it.

FOI and EOI complaints

We have a separate procedure for complaints about:

  • freedom of information releases
  • environmental information regulations

Read our FOI EIR leaflet (PDF, 164KB, 1 page) to find out how to complain.