NHS Digital Board
The board is the senior decision-making structure of the organisation, accountable to the public, Parliament and the Secretary of State for Health.
Noel Gordon, Chair
- Dr Sarah Blackburn, Deputy Chair and Chair of the Assurance & Risk Committee
- Sir Ian Andrews, Chair of the Information Assurance and Cyber Security Committee and the Board’s Senior Independent Director
- Prof. Sudhesh Kumar
- Dr Marko Balabanovic
- Rob Tinlin
- Daniel Benton
- Prof. Soraya Dhillon, MBE
- Sarah Wilkinson, Chief Executive Officer
- Rob Shaw, Deputy Chief Executive
- Carl Vincent, Chief Financial Officer
- Sean Walsh, Interim Director of Operations and Assurance services and Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO)
- Tom Denwood, Director of Data and Integration
Ex officio members
- Jonathan Marron, Director General for Community Care (Department of Health representative)
- Prof. Keith McNeil, NHS Chief Clinical Information Officer (CCIO) (NHS England representative)
- Prof. Martin Severs, NHS Digital Medical Director and Caldicott Guardian
Other Members of the Executive Management Team (may attend the Board at the discretion of the Chair):
- Ken Baker – Director of Workforce (interim),
- Nic Fox, Director of Provider Digitisation and Programmes (interim)
- James Hawkins, Director of Programmes
- Eve Roodhouse, Director of Implementation and Programmes (interim)
Please visit the membership biographies
Future board meetings
Public sessions of the board are held regularly. Members of the public are welcome to attend and observe these meetings.
Agendas and papers will be available on the NHS Digital website
one working day before the meeting date.
The board might need to consider commercial or confidential staff agenda items that can’t be discussed in public. If so, a private session will also be held without any observers.
Future board dates
For further information regarding future board meetings please visit the
Board meetings page on the NHS Digital website.
Minutes and board papers
The board meets throughout the year. Minutes and board papers are available from each meeting:
Independent Group Advising on the Release of Data (IGARD)
The Independent Group Advising on the Release of Data (IGARD) is an independent group, hosted by NHS Digital, which considers applications for data made to NHS Digital’s Data Access Request Service
IGARD is made up of a panel of independent members.
Department of Health HSCIC Framework Agreement
The relationship between the Department of Health and the Health and Social Care Information Centre is defined in the Framework Agreement. This is unaffected by the change of name to NHS Digital.
Department of Health HSCIC Strategic Objectives
The Department of Health’s Strategic Objectives for the Health and Social Care Information Centre: April 2014 to March 2015 are set out in the HSCIC Statement of Strategic Objectives.
Directions and Mandatory Requests
Directions are no longer being updated on this page. For more up to date information please visit the NHS Digital website.
The Health and Social Care Act sets out the powers of the Secretary of State and NHS England to direct the HSCIC (now known as NHS Digital) to carry out additional functions concerning:
- Information functions
- The information functions of any health or social care body
- Systems delivery functions.
Directions and Mandatory requests issued
*HSCIC]: Health and Social Care Information Centre
*[DAAG]: Data Access Advisory Group