The Defence and Security Accelerator focuses on innovations which can provide advantage to defence and national security to protect the UK from its adversaries.
It will fund the development of suppliers’ innovative ideas and provide support through to potential application. The Accelerator will also fund innovations for defence and security which support economic growth and prosperity in the UK.
Stakeholders will be encouraged to experiment and collaborate and help overcome barriers to exploitation.
If your proposal is a product, you should speak to the Defence Suppliers Service.
Who we are
The Accelerator is formed of personnel from the Ministry of Defence, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, Defence Equipment and Support and the Home Office.
We are responsible for:
- funding proof-of-concept research that offers a high potential benefit to defence and security
- opening up defence and security challenges to the widest possible audience of providers, including those new to defence and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- helping to take Accelerator-funded projects towards market
Our priorities are to:
- extend our reach to anyone with innovative ideas
- hold regular themed competitions to address specific defence and security challenges
- promote the monthly Accelerator Enduring Challenge to more broadly capture potential innovations that address the most important problems in defence
- improve routes to commercialisation, following initial Accelerator proof-of-concept funding