Terms of reference
These are the terms of reference for the Advisory Committee on Releases to the Environment.
The ‘terms of reference’ of an organisation or group describe its aims, structure and how it will work. They outline the objectives of the group, and the roles and responsibilities of those involved.
These are the published terms of reference of the Advisory Committee on Releases to the Environment.
- To advise the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Scottish and Welsh ministers (hereafter collectively known as ‘the ministers’) and other bodies as appropriate on the exercise of powers under Part VI of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- To advise the ministers and other bodies as appropriate on releases into the environment of Great Britain of animals and plants covered by sections 14 and 16 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- To advise the Department of the Environment (Northern Ireland) on releases of genetically modified organisms into the Northern Ireland environment for the purposes of the Genetically Modified Organisms (Deliberate Release) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994
- To provide to the ministers on request scientific advice on GMOs, including advice to the Health and Safety Executive in respect of the human health aspects of releases to the environment.
- To advise the ministers and other bodies as appropriate on research needs.