Patent examiner vacancies at the IPO
The IPO is recruiting 5 biotechnology, chemistry and electrical/electronic engineering patent examiners to start 4 September 2017.
Role of a patent examiner
Patent examiners help companies to innovate and grow by granting high quality, valid patents. Patent examiners look at both the technical and legal aspects of a patent application. They compare the new invention against those found in patent databases to decide whether to grant a patent.
We are seeking people with highly developed analytical and critical skills and the communication skills necessary to express complex technical and legal arguments. You will also need strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with colleagues and customers. We need candidates who are self-motivated and willing to take responsibility for their own decisions.
Area of expertise
Patent examiners salaries currently start at £27,656 including a £3,000 recruitment and retention allowance. We welcome applications from people who have obtained or are expected to achieve at least a 2:2 degree in:
- electrical/electronic engineering
How to apply
Full details of the role and how to apply are available on the Civil Service jobs website.
The closing date for applications is 5 March 2017.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published: 14 October 2014
Updated: 10 February 2017
- New patent examiner vacancies specialising in biotechnology, chemistry and electrical/electronic engineering added.
- The Intellectual Property Office is recruiting 2 patent examiners specialising in biotechnology to start 5 September 2016.
- Email address updated to email@example.com.
- New round of patent examiner recruitment and dates for careers fairs added.
- Information on new patent examiner recruitment and career fairs added. Closing date for applications is 29 November 2015.
- First published.