Low Pay Commissioners will visit Lincoln and Boston on 28 and 29 August on a fact-finding visit about the National Minimum Wage.
This is one of a number of visits the Low Pay Commission (LPC) is making around the UK during 2013, to gather information on how the minimum wage is operating.
John Hannett, Susan Anderson and Peter Donaldson will meet a number of representatives in and around Lincoln and Boston, to hear first hand what impact the National Minimum Wage is having on businesses and workers.
Low Pay Commissioner John Hannett said:
Hearing directly from those affected by the National Minimum wage is an important part of the commission’s work and informs our recommendations to the government. Our visits take us around the UK and we welcome the opportunity to hear how the National Minimum Wage has affected people in Lincoln and Boston.
Notes to editors
- LPC is a statutory body whose role is to advise the government on the National Minimum Wage.
- LPC has produced 14 reports - these are available from the Stationery Office Bookshops or the LPC website.
- The members of LPC are:
*David Norgrove (Chair), Deputy Chairman of the British Museum and a member of the Finance Committee for Amnesty International UK
- Susan Anderson, a consultant to the CBI on employment issues and a member of ACAS Council
- Peter Donaldson, Managing Director of D5 Limited
- Professor Bob Elliott, Professor of Economics and Director of the Health Economics Research Unit at the University of Aberdeen
- Neil Goulden, Chairman (emeritus), The Gala Coral Group
- John Hannett, General Secretary of the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers
- Professor Stephen Machin, Professor of Economics at University College London
- Kay Carberry, Assistant General Secretary of the TUC
- Heather Wakefield, Head of Local Government, UNISON
- The National Minimum Wage for those aged 21 and over is £6.19 per hour. For those aged 18 to 20 the rate is £4.98 per hour. The minimum wage for 16 and 17 year olds is £3.68 an hour. The Apprentice Minimum Wage is £2.65 per hour for those aged under 19 or in the first year of their apprenticeship.
2-6 Salisbury Square
Telephone 020 7211 8772
Out of hours 07720 212676
Published: 16 August 2013
From: Low Pay Commission