Intellectual property professional advice
Advice on where to find professional help for your intellectual property needs.
Need some professional help with intellectual property?
There are many legal professionals who specialise in intellectual property and are useful in helping you to understand, obtain and defend your intellectual property rights.
Details of professionals in your area can be obtained from any of the following organisations:
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Law Society - can provide details of suitable solicitors in your area
- Bar Council - can provide details of barristers licensed for public access
Other sources of advice include:
- GOV.UK - can provide various intellectual property guidance
- Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) “Enterprise Europe Network” - EEN are a European wide network, with a number of centres in the UK. Each can provide consulting services on IP rights
- The National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts (NESTA) - can provide a useful handbook on invention and innovation
There are a number of other organisations geared specifically to helping inventors, especially lone inventors, to bring their ideas to market, and to provide advice on finding financial assistance. For example, The Institute of Patentees and Inventors (IPI) which is a non-profit making organisation that specifically helps lone inventors.
Published: 20 October 2014