Greg Barker visited Birmingham this afternoon, to congratulate the City Council and Carillion Energy Services on the announcement of its Green…
Greg Barker visited Birmingham this afternoon, to congratulate the City Council and Carillion Energy Services on the announcement of its Green Deal delivery partnership
Birmingham is the first local authority in the country to appoint a delivery partner for the Green Deal. In an announcement last month, DECC awarded £2.6m to the City Council to help kick start Green Deal activity across the City. Birmingham City Council aims to lever in an additional £3.2m in matched funding.
Key projects will include:
- Community ‘green deal’ - working with local community organisations to target and deliver to 120 householders and 10 public buildings for installations.
- Tower block offer - solid wall insulation in hard to treat blocks including replacing an obsolete heating systems.
- Working with private landlords - competition to select demonstrators to highlight benefits of Green Deal and potential early adopters.
- Industrial estate retrofit - delivery of energy efficiency retrofit to up to 10 non-domestic properties owned by the council.
- District energy installation - delivering a heating facility on a local community building capable of providing excessive capacity for use by surrounding domestic premises
The ‘Birmingham Energy Savers Programme’ plans to refurbish around 60,000 homes and non domestic buildings, creating 250+ new jobs and helping reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 60 per cent by 2026.
As of 1st October, the framework for the Green Deal is in place. This will allow the Green Deal market to develop over the next 18 months and go on to meet the Government’s ambitions for a major programme of national energy efficiency retrofit.
From 28th January 2013, Green Deal Providers will be able to offer Green Deal plans to consumers and begin delivering energy efficiency and heating measures worth an estimated £1.3 billion a year.
- Read Greg Barker’s latest blog, “Green Deal - Green Light”
- Find out more about the Green Deal on the DECC website or ring the Energy Saving Advice Service (0300 123 1234)