The project is situated close to Grimsby in North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire, and will improve the A160 between the junction with the A180 at Brocklesby interchange and the Port.
The scheme aims to provide better access to the port and the surrounding area, stimulating growth and unlocking economic benefits in the area.
Public information exhibitions will be taking place at South Killingholme Community Centre, Moat Lane, South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire DN40 3EU:
- Friday 27 February from 1pm to 8pm
- Saturday 28 February from 10am to 4pm
The A160/A180 is a key strategic route which currently experiences congestion, particularly along the single carriageway section, due to the very high proportion of heavy goods vehicles. The Secretary of State granted a development consent order (DCO) for the scheme in February. Construction of the scheme is expected to start at end of March and anticipated to take around sixteen months to complete, at a cost of £88.4m.
Highways Agency Project Manager Ben Ridgeon said:
With such a significant route being important for so many people and the growth of the region, it is essential that we talk to the public and make sure they are engaged every step of the way. Anyone is welcome to come along to one of our exhibitions to find out more about the improvements.
The A160/A180 Port of Immingham project will upgrade the existing single carriageway section of the A160 to dual carriageway, and improve junctions along the route. Once completed, traffic congestion will be reduced, journey times will become more reliable, safety will be improved for road users and the local community, and there will be better access to the Port of Immingham and the surrounding area.
The scheme will include:
- upgrading Brocklesby interchange to an oval two bridge roundabout layout, including a dedicated left turn lane for vehicles travelling from the eastbound A180 to the A160
- upgrading the single carriageway section of the A160 to dual carriageway
- relocating Habrough Roundabout to the west of its current position, with new link roads provided from the A160 to Ulceby Road, Top Road and Habrough Road
- closing the central reserve gap at the junction with Town Street and partially closing the gap at the entrance to the oil refinery
- provision of a new road bridge at Town Street to provide vehicle and pedestrian access between the two parts of South Killingholme
- Provision of a new gyratory carriageway system between Manby Road Roundabout, Rosper Road Junction and the Port of Immingham, requiring the construction of a new link road and bridge beneath the railway
- localised diversion of third-party gas pipelines that cross beneath the existing A160
To stay up to date with the latest developments, register to be kept informed about the news on the scheme on the Highways Agency’s project pages.
Members of the public should contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways Agency press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.