CoRWM member, Rebecca Lunn hosted a talk in March at the Geological Society
Rebecca Lunn gave an invited public lecture at Geological Society as part of the London Lecture Series in her capacity as Professor at Strathclyde University. It was entitled “Meeting the Challenge Geological Disposal of the UK’s Higher Activity Wastes”
- framed the discussion on radioactive waste in the context of energy supply, reduction in carbon emissions and the need to deal with wastes from all energy production sectors.
- described different safety case concepts for a Geological Disposal Facility, explaining how the safety functions worked.
- described the siting process in recent years and appraised the technical arguments that were put against the most recent attempt at siting.
In giving the lecture Rebecca Lunn aimed to raise awareness of issues faced by siting for intergeneration reasons, and emphasise the point that any new process must deliver a site no matter where that is across England or Wales.
The video of the lecture can be found on the Geologial Society website and the slides are attached.
PDF, 18.8MB, 34 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Published: 14 May 2014
Updated: 24 June 2014
- updated presentation to correct incorrect statistic on slide 31
- factual error in slides corrected
- First published.