The Human Rights and Democracy Programme (HRDP) is the FCO’s dedicated annual fund supporting human rights and democracy work overseas. Through targeted projects, it aims to lift the capacity of governments and civil society to promote and protect human rights.
We are now accepting proposals for projects for the financial year 2015/16. The target thematic areas for the UK for 2015/16 are: abolition of the death penalty; business and human rights; democratic processes; freedom of expression; freedom of religion or belief; global torture prevention; preventing sexual violence in conflict; promoting women’s rights.
The British Embassy Juba has identified four priority areas for South Sudan. We would particularly welcome bids in the areas of:
- democratic processes
- freedom of expression
- preventing sexual violence in conflict
- promoting women’s rights
Please note that HRDP will fund projects up to the value of £200,000. Projects in excess of this amount may be considered exceptionally after consultation.
How to apply
- Read the strategy carefully and ensure that any proposals you are considering are a good fit.
- Use the template provided below to submit a Project Concept Note by 9am Wednesday 26 November to British Embassy Juba on email@example.com, of no more than three pages in length.
- For multi-country proposals, send your concept note to the relevant thematic Human Rights and Democracy Department desk officer in London (see detailed guidance for implementers for contact details). It is a good idea to discuss your project proposal in advance with the Embassy if it includes work in South Sudan.
- Successful implementers will be invited to submit a full proposal. We will advise you on which proposal form to complete depending on the value of the project. The deadline for submission of the full project proposals is 29 December 2014.
- It is our aim to inform all applicants of the final outcome of their bid by the end of March 2015, and for projects to commence in April 2015.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that due to the extremely high level of interest in this fund, the Embassy is not able to discuss individual project ideas in detail before submission of a concept bid.
Project proposals must clearly demonstrate how they will support the FCO’s strategy in at least one of the eight thematic priorities of the Human Rights and Democracy Programme, and must also align with the human rights priorities for that country. Please see Annex A of the 2015-16 HRDP strategy for priority countries under each theme.
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- value for money
- alignment with HRDP Strategy and FCO’s Foreign Policy Priorities
- evidence of local demand or need
- project viability, including capacity of implementing organisation(s)
- project design, including clear, achievable impact
- risk and stakeholder management
If you have any questions on the structure of the fund or UK thematic priorities please contact the London team on HRD.Programme@fco.gov.uk
If you have questions about priorities in South Sudan please contact email@example.com