UK Chemicals Stakeholder Forum
The UK Chemicals Stakeholder Forum (UKCSF) advises government on managing risks to the environment and to human health via the environment that may result from the production, distribution and use of chemicals.
The forum works alongside other departments and government bodies including the Health and Safety Executive, the Department for Business Innovation and Skills and the Environment Agency. We also receive advice from the Hazardous Substances Advisory Committee (HSAC).
Terms of reference
The purpose of the forum is to advise government on managing risks to the environment and to human health via the environment that may result from the production, distribution and use of chemicals. The forum aims to be a strategic body, with due regard for sustainable consumption and production throughout the chemicals supply chain, the life cycle of chemicals, the precautionary principle, and the need to add value and not replicate activities undertaken elsewhere.
In particular it will:
- review the effectiveness of REACH in realising its goals in the light of the experience and needs of UK stakeholders
- review the effectiveness of the UK competent authority in delivering its obligations under REACH, and engage it in an on-going dialogue to reflect stakeholder views and concerns
- advise government on measures to promote the sound management of chemicals internationally
- continue to promote voluntary action by industry in the UK where this can reduce the overall use of those substances recognised by the forum as being priorities for action
- communicate and encourage best practice and innovation, and encourage others to do so
- promote more effective linkages throughout the chemicals supply chain, and between all those with an interest in the future of a sustainable and competitive UK chemicals industry
In order to measure the effectiveness of the activities above as they relate both to itself and others, the forum will develop key performance indicators against which it can assess performance.
The forum has 24 members, drawn from industry, environmental/animal protection/conservation and consumer organisations, trade unions and the scientific community, and an independent chairman: Professor David Phillips. The broad membership of the forum ensures that they are well placed to explore the views of the many sectors of society who work with, or are concerned about, industrial chemicals.
Professor Phillips has been reappointed as UKCSF Chairman for a second 3 year term, starting from 12 July 2016.
List of the organisations and their representatives currently on the forum:
- ADS (UK Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space industries) - Cathy Phillips
- British Association for Chemical Specialities - John Reid
- British Coatings Federation - Tom Bowtell
- British Plastics Federation - Philip Law
- British Retail Consortium - David Bolton
- Business Council for Sustainable Development (UK) - Pat Laughlin
- Chemical Business Association - Michael Cooper
- Chemical Industries Association - Nishma Patel
- Chemicals, Health and Environment Monitoring (CHEM) Trust - Michael Warhurst
- Cruelty Free International - Katy Taylor
- EEF, the manufacturers’ organisation - Roz Bulleid
- Environmental Services Association - Ray Parmenter
- Federation of Small Businesses - Andrew Poole
- Green Chemistry Network - James Clark
- Greenpeace - David Santillo
- Knowledge Transfer Network - Steve Fletcher
- National Federation of Women’s Institutes - Glenis Wedzicha
- Non-Ferrous Alliance - Piat Piatkiewicz
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Camilla Alexander-White
- Society of Chemical Industry - David Taylor
- TechUK - Susanne Baker
- Trades Union Congress - Bud Hudspith
- UK Cleaning Products Industry Association - Philip Malpass
The forum also has one individual expert, Dr Mike Holland, who is not associated with a particular organisation. Mike is an expert on socio-economic aspects under REACH.
Meetings are open to the public. Please contact us if you would like to attend.
An agenda and papers for the meeting will be published here a few days before each meeting.
- 27 April 2017
- 18 July 2017
- 31 October 2017
- 30 January 2018
- 24 April 2018
- 17 July 2018
- 23 October 2018
Minutes and papers
68th meeting: 27 April 2017 (ZIP, 185KB)
67th meeting: 31 January 2017 (ZIP, 10.5MB)
66th meeting: 1 November 2016 (ZIP, 5.3MB)
65th meeting: 26 July 2016 (ZIP, 4.96MB)
64th meeting: 26 April 2016 (ZIP, 5.59MB)
63rd meeting: 26 January 2016 (ZIP, 5.23MB)
For minutes of previous meetings and other documents, please see The National Archives webpages.
2015 UKCSF annual report (PDF, 1.42MB, 47 pages)
Updated forum guidance for SMEs and downstream users on REACH authorisation (PDF, 625KB, 7 pages)
A forum guide to substitution (PDF, 605KB, 16 pages)