The Review Panel (MHRA) carries out statutory and non-statutory reviews of proposals, decisions and provisional decisions taken by Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.
Role of the group
The terms of reference for the Review Panel (MHRA) are to:
- review the provisional determinations made by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) concerning the classification of a product as a medicine
- perform the role of the ‘reviewers’ in relation to decisions or proposals made by the MHRA related to the grant, renewal, revocation, suspension, refusal or variation of manufacturer’s or wholesale dealing licences, and UK marketing authorisations (the ‘persons appointed’ role)
- consider representations about decisions made in relation to advertising
The Review Panel became a departmental expert committee on 1 November 2012 as a result of the Arm’s Length Body (ALB) Review in 2010.
The Code of Practice
Code of Practice on conflicts of interest applies to chairs, members, co-opted members and invited and patient experts of all our scientific advisory committees. See Code of Practice.
The principles in the Code also apply to observers and invited experts who are asked to contribute written advice and do not attend committee meetings.
If you are interested in joining the Review Panel, please apply via ECSRecruitment@mhra.gov.uk.
The members of the panel are:
- Mr Neil Mercer LL.B. (Hons) B.A. (Hons) Practising Barrister, Thomas Bingham Chambers, London (Chair)
- Dr Aomesh Bhatt BSc (Hons), MRCGP, DFFP, MBA Senior Clinical Research Fellow in Translational Medicine, University of Oxford; Tutor in Pharmacology, St Hilda’s College, University of Oxford; Honorary Senior Clinical Fellow, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Mrs Leah Heathman BSc (Hons) MTOPRA Managing Director and Senior Regulatory Consultant, Fusion Pharma Limited
- Mr Stephen Sharp MA MSc Senior Statistician, University of Cambridge MRC Epidemiology Unit
- Mrs Rachelle Broadley JP MA (Cantab) Solicitor, Macmillan Cancer Support
Reviewers (participation at specific appeals only) appointed under Sch 5 para 2 of the Human Medicines Regulations 2012 (as amended):
- Dr Alan Fayaz MD(Res) MRCP FRCA FFPMRCA (University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust)
- Dr Roger Knaggs BSc BMedSci PhD EDPM FFRPS FRPharmS FFPMRCA (University of Nottingham and Primary Integrated Community Solutions
- Dr Matt Mulvey BSc (Hons) PhD (University of Leeds)
- Dr Paul Farquhar-Smith MA, MB BChir, MA, PhD, FRCA, FFPMRCA (The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust)