Star Chamber Scrutiny Board
The Star Chamber helps the Department for Education to assess data collections for schools and children’s services.
Terms of reference
The Star Chamber helps review all Department for Education data collections relating to children’s services, schools and families.
It aims to ensure all proposed collections are:
- good value
- as easy and quick to complete as possible
These reports contain comments that are provided by the external members of the Star Chamber and do not necessarily reflect the Department for Education position.
Meeting and submission dates
Meetings are usually held on the first Thursday of every month.
The usual deadline for submitting a data collection proposal to the Star Chamber secretariat is midday, 10 calendar days before the meeting.
The Star Chamber is made up of representatives from schools and local authorities.
Current members are:
- Jamie James (Chair, Data Operations Division)
- Paul Hirst (Co Chair, Data Operations Division)
- Stuart Beck (National Association of Head Teachers)
- Viktorija Birmingham (Ealing local authority)
- Angela Browne (Windsor Learning Partnership, Windsor)
- Stephen Clark (associate local authority member)
- Mathew Downs (Highcliffe School, Dorset)
- Chloe Grier (Dorset Council)
- Chris Hill (associate school member)
- Derek Hills (Ark School, London)
- Chris Hudson (Leeds City Council)
- Laura Humber (Manchester City Council)
- Rashid Jussa (associate local authority member)
- Damien Kearns (Nishkam High School, Birmingham)
- Judith Kemp (Suffolk Virtual School)
- Adam King (Ofsted)
- Sharon McBriarty (Kirklees local authority)
- Jeanette Miller (St Mark’s Church of England School, Southampton)
- Mike Parkin (Worcestershire local authority)
- Daryl Perilli (Brighton & Hove local authority)
- Cathy Piotrowski (associate local authority member)
- Kerry Stamp (Bursledon Federation)
- Simon Utting (Hackney Learning Trust)
- Max Winters (associate local authority member)
- Nigel Wright (Bohunt School, Hampshire)
- Christopher Woolf (Pinner High School, Harrow)
Star Chamber Scrutiny Board Secretariat
Data Operations Division
2 St Paul's Place
125 Norfolk Street