Standards for Microbiology Investigations Steering Committee
The Standards for Microbiology Investigations (SMI) Steering Committee develops standards for microbiology investigations.
The SMI steering committee recommends and endorses NICE accredited microbiology standards. The committee oversees working groups who are responsible for the laboratory, clinical and public health input to the UK SMIs. The working groups work with the Standards Unit and are accountable to the steering committee.
The steering committee and the working groups work with professional and public sector organisations including professional societies, Public Health England, the NHS and the Royal College of Pathologists to develop and endorse the standards.
The Standards unit responsible for the development of UK SMIs is core funded by Public Health England to cover the running costs of staff, steering committee and three working groups. The running costs also include travel expenses for the chair, lay representatives and administrative costs of arranging meetings. Travel expenses for members are covered by their respective ‘partner organisations’.
Steering committee terms of reference (PDF, 72.7KB, 9 pages)
The NICE accreditation applies to all guidance produced since October 2009 using the UK SMI development processes.
Standards unit development process (PDF, 213KB, 20 pages)
The committee encourages members of the public to get involved in the development of UK standards for microbiology investigations. If you want to know how to be involved see the UK SMI consultation pages.
Steering committee membership
Current members are:
- Peter Cowling, Chair
- Ruhi Siddiqui, Head of Standards Unit (UK SMI)
- Clare Harris, Deputy Head of Standards Unit, Secretariat (UK SMI)
- Paul Chadwick (joint chair of national user manual working group)
- Albert Mifsud (chair of bacteriology working group)
- Alison Watt (chair of virology working group)
- Karen Bowker (representing British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy)
- Ian Cocking (representing Institute of Biomedical Science)
- Matthew Donati (joint chair of national user manual template working group)
- Mark Fielder (representing Society for Applied Microbiology)
- Julie Johnson (representing Public Health England)
- Phil Lewis (representing Welsh Microbiological Association)
- Jodi Lindsay (representing Microbiology Society)
- Michael Lockhart (representing Health Protection Scotland)
- Gillian Orange (representing Scottish Microbiology Association)
- Riina Rautemaa-Richardson (representing Association of Clinical Oral Microbiologists)
- Silke Schelenz (representing UK Clinical Mycology Network and the British Society for Medical Mycology)
- Chris Settle (representing Healthcare Infection Society)
- Jonathan Turner (representing British Society for Microbial Technology)
- Mark Wilks (representing Society for Anaerobic Microbiology and the Association for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine)
- Tim Wyatt (representing Northern Ireland Public Health Agency)
- Justin Pachebat (representing British Society for Parasitology)
- Roger Gibb (lay representative)
- Kenworth Vaughan (lay representative)
Steering committee and working group members declare potential conflicts of interest or potential bias which may affect the independence of the conclusions or recommendations of the UK SMIs.
Declaration of interests (PDF, 43.3KB, 4 pages)
The working groups for UK Standards for Microbiology Investigations (UK SMIs) include:
- Joint working group for national user manual template
- Working group for microbiology standards in clinical bacteriology
- Working group for bacteriological identification and test procedures
- Working group for microbiology standards in clinical virology/serology
Working group terms of reference (PDF, 73.9KB, 8 pages)
Working group membership
Joint working group for national user manual templates membership (PDF, 12.5KB, 2 pages)
Working group for microbiology standards in clinical bacteriology membership (PDF, 30.7KB, 2 pages)
Working group for bacteriological identification and test procedures membership (PDF, 29.4KB, 1 page)
Working group for microbiology standards in clinical virology/serology membership (PDF, 29.4KB, 1 page)
UK standards for microbiology investigations
National Infection Service
Public Health England
61 Colindale Avenue
Telephone 0208 327 6478