The forum provides clarity for customers and their representatives in understanding HMRC’s delivery of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT).
The forum will:
- increase HMRC’s understanding of the views of industry and professional bodies (representing conveyancers, legal, finance and tax professionals) in relation to the operation of SDLT
- raise, discuss and resolve significant issues in relation to SDLT
- jointly seek solutions to improving understanding of the tax system through clear decision making and improved guidance from HMRC
The forum will be charied by HMRC, and HMRC will provide secretariat support.
The external membership of the forum represents industry bodies and professional bodies representing conveyancers, legal, finance and tax professionals.
The organisations currently represented:
- Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
- British Property Federation
- Land Securities Group PLC
- FTI Consulting
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Stamp Taxes Practitioners Group (STPG)
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- KPMG LLP
- Laytons Solicitors
Meetings will usually take place every 4 to 6 months.
Where a significant technical issue arises which will impact on a large section of the industry, ad hoc meetings of the technical forum can be arranged to address that single issue.
A draft record of meetings will be issued to attendees for consideration within 10 working days of each meeting, allowing 10 working days thereafter for any responses.
A final record of meetings, including attendees, are published on this page.
Agenda items for forthcoming meetings will be commissioned four weeks in advance, allowing members two weeks to suggest items for inclusion.
Final agendas will be issued one week before the date of a meeting. All pre-reading will be supplied a minimum of two days before the meeting.
The timing and length of meetings will be flexible, taking account of the agenda and of members’ views.