The Space Leadership Council is the forum through which the space sector engages with Government and has been a significant contributor to the success of UK space policy since it was first established in 2010.
The purpose of the Space Leadership Council is to assist ministers with responsibility for space in developing their strategic policy and supporting actions by providing expert inputs to set alongside advice from officials.
It will set the ambitious vision for the future of the space sector and will assist government in creating the conditions needed for the sector to grow.
The council acts as a knowledge exchange forum and offers clear and strategic advice to Ministers related to:
- the implementation of the National Space Policy and the Civil Space Strategy
- supporting activities such as the Space Innovation and Growth Strategy
- priorities for national and ESA investments
- cross-government issues such as space security, spectrum and regulation
- wider national, European and global science and industrial policy
- Jo Johnson MP, Minister of State for Universities and Science and co-chair
- Andy Green, President of UKspace and co-chair
- Harriett Baldwin MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Procurement, Ministry of Defence (MOD)
- Katherine Courtney, CEO, UK Space Agency
- Steve Smart, Senior Vice President, CGI Limited and Chair, UKspace
- Sir Mark Walport, Government Chief Scientific Advisor, Government Office for Science