Advises government on how to increase access to research data.
Purpose of the board
The Board will advise government on how to increase access to research data, with the aim of fuelling new discovery and innovation, and ultimately economic growth and societal benefit. This will complement existing activities to improve access to research publications.
The Board will also act as a coordinating body for initiatives already underway to increase research transparency. It will facilitate interchange between these different activities and review progress of their implementation.
- The Rt Hon David Willetts MP (Chair) – Minister of State for Universities and Science
- Sir John O’Reilly – Director General, Knowledge and Innovation, BIS
- Sir Mark Walport – Government Chief Scientific Adviser
- Professor Rick Rylance – Chair, Research Councils UK
- Sir Alan Langlands – Chief Executive, Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Iain Gray – Chief Executive, Technology Strategy Board
- Professor Lynn Gladden – Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research, University of Cambridge
- Professor Adam Tickell – Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research, University of Birmingham
- Professor Sir Nigel Shadbolt – Open Data Institute; University of Southampton
- Professor Tim Palmer – Royal Meteorological Society
- Professor Geoffrey Boulton – Royal Society
- Jil Matheson – National Statistician
- James Ashton - Cabinet Office
Agenda and minutes
The Research Sector Transparency Board meets on an ad hoc basis.