The Digital Transformation Portfolio sets out how the government and national health and care organisations aim to use information technology to improve health and social care services in England.
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) is overseeing a £4.2bn delivery programme from 2016 to 2021. Approximately one third of the budget is allocated to transformational programmes. The remaining budget supports live services, business as usual and statutory functions.
In 2014 the National Information Board published the policy paper ‘Personalised health and care 2020: a framework for action’ to support staff, patients and the public to take better advantage of the digital opportunity.
- Personalised health and care 2020: a framework for action
- Personalised health and care 2020: patient, carers and service user vision
In 2016, a Chief Clinical Information Officer (CCIO) was appointed for the first time by NHS England, NHS Improvement and the DHSC. This joint appointment acts as the representative for the health and social care system.
The CCIO reports to DHSC and NHS England and is accountable for the performance of NHS Digital to deliver programmes within the Digital Transformation Portfolio. The Portfolio operates through a Digital Delivery Board (DDB), which will ensure effective discussion, prioritisation and approval of matters relating to technology and information systems and programmes.
The DDB has a number of subgroups which feed into the overall governance structure of the Digital Transformation Portfolio:
- Technology and Data Investment Board (TDIB);
- Data Coordination Board (DCB) and
- Enterprise Architecture Board (EAB);
Digital Delivery Board membership
- Simon Eccles (Chair, NHS Chief Clinical Information Officer)
- NHS Clinical Information Officer (once appointed)
- Matthew Gould (Chief Executive, NHSX)
- Sarah Wilkinson (Chief Executive Officer, NHS Digital)
- Tim Donohoe (Chief Technology Adviser, NHSX)
- David Ashby (Director of Products, NHS England and NHS Improvement)
- Hadley Beeman (Interim Chief Technology Officer, NHSX)
- Rob Shaw (Deputy Chief Executive, NHS Digital)
- Chris Young (Finance Director, DHSC)
- Carl Vincent (Chief Financial Officer, NHS Digital)
- Wendy Clark (Executive Director for Product Development, NHS Digital)
- Katie Farrington (Chair of DCB, NHSX)
- Iain O’Neil (Interim Chair of EAB, NHSX)
- Peter Lord (Interim Head of CCIO Operations, NHSX)
- Alex Munn (Senior Policy Adviser, HM Treasury)
- Martin John (Deputy Director of Public Services, IPA)
- Simon Enright (Director of Communications, NHS England and NHS Improvement)
Read minutes from the Digital Delivery Board meetings
For more information regarding the DDB or its subgroups please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.